Thursday, April 2, 2009

Strange Blessings

Since I’ve last written, I’ve actually grown up! I am now 20 years old. Two decades! That’s a pretty solid and intimidating number.

I feel like I’m finally able to breathe again.

In retrospect, the week doesn’t look so bad. But I felt pretty crazed for most of it. Thankfully, I finished the two tests I was dreading, got through the longest lab session of my life, and registered for classes. I’ve had all afternoon to myself, so I spent some time sitting in the sunshine reading, listening to music, and reflecting.

I felt like I really had to fight to stay optimistic this week. Usually, I’m the most optimistic person I know, so I felt a little bewildered when I suddenly felt so gloomy. Whatever funk I was in didn’t last very long, since the minute Thursday came and the sun came out, I was my normal happy go-lucky self.

Also, I came across a quote that helped me put things in perspective. It’s from Primo Levi’s book Survival in Auschwitz, which I haven’t actually read, but it was mentioned in another book I’m working on. “It is lucky that it is not windy today,” Levi writes. “Strange, how in some way, one always has the impression of being fortunate, how some chance happening, perhaps infinitesimal, stops us crossing the threshold of despair and allows us to live”. It just reminds me that there is always something to be happy about, no matter how small.

So, in order to lift my spirits, I made a list of things I’m grateful for and things to be happy about. Here it is!

- Grass that is soft and not itchy.
- Exchanging letters
- The company of good friends
- Not being raised in a polygamist cult
- Towels that are fresh out of the dryer
- Singing along
- The Big Dipper on clear nights
- Random acts of kindness
- Unexpected phone calls from the people I miss dearly
- Supportive parents
- Books of every kind!
- Spring and everything about it
- Baby animals
- Chocolate
- Strange blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment